Be Aware of Asbestos

Asbestos was banned in the year 1978 by the U.S. government after which the substance was no longer mined. However, because the government allowed the remaining stocks of the substance to be used up, many residential and commercial buildings still have asbestos, especially on their roofs. Many people believe that as this substance is banned, they are completely free of its ill effects. However, this is not true. Therefore, awareness about asbestos must definitely be spread far and wide. You must remember that asbestos is available in different forms and each one of them can be causing a different kind of health problem for you. For example, some kind of asbestos are specially known for causing lung cancer while some others are known for causing asbestosis. Depending upon the time that you were exposed to asbestos, the kind of substance and the overall environment, your real asbestos exposure can be calculated.
You might not be able to control how asbestos is used anywhere else. However, if your house was made before or during the 1980s, it is essential that you get an asbestos checkup done. You would simply have to contact an asbestos inspector for this purpose who would check if the asbestos has reached harmful levels. If yes, then you must immediately opt for an asbestos abatement treatment. You must also take notice of the asbestos in your workplace. Remember that you would have to spend a lot of time and effort in deciding the harmful amounts of asbestos in your residential and commercial spaces. So hire a professional right now. It is quite possible that you are already living in an area where an old asbestos mine existed. As asbestos fibers are airborne, living near such mines can increase the rate of lung cancer and it may take more than 30 years to develop. In such a case, you must immediately go and seek medical attention after defining the entire issue so that you can be helped.
We would like to suggest that you should never try to touch or remove asbestos at home. This is because the substance can release some particles in air which would cause health problems and are generally very difficult to control. Once they enter your respiratory system, you would likely start coughing and having problems with breathing. Therefore, leave the task to the professionals only and get an asbestos checkup done as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *